05 February 2010

My Reception! My Reception!

Have you ever visited Sweet Tea & Biscuits? It's my newest blogging discovery. All things Southern, any belle's dream! ST&B hosts a series called "Sips of the South" that focuses on a southern "feature." This week, it just happens to be southern weddings.


Since I started this blog after I got married, I've never shared my wedding photos with ya'll and I thought being a part of this series would be the perfect opportunity!

June 14, 2008
Historic Beaty-Mason House, est. 1826
Athens, Alabama
(my grandfather's neighborhood)

My wedding was everything I had visioned it would be and I enjoyed the day so much! Despite the 80% chance of rain, it stopped magically and the sun came out in time for the show to go on! The wedding was in the front yard of the President's home for Athens State University and the reception was in the backyard...a true garden wedding. We had about 200 guests in attendance, and I don't think one left without dancing or at least two cocktails in them....we danced ALL NIGHT! By no means was this event formal, it was anything but. Formal would have not been in our taste. Rather it was casual, relaxed and involved quite a few drinks! True Southern style!

The Dress Code:
I bought my veil and dress for....brace yourself, $155 total! My bridesmaids dresses were helped pick out by a dear high school friend of mine and bridal consultant at Bridals of Regiss Park in Glasgow, Kentucky. Chase bought a new linen suit for the occasion. Rather than having the grooms pay outrageous prices for a tuxedo that they would have to get returned by such and such time, we each had them wear their own black suit and bought them ties to match Chase's. Easy as pie!

The Flowers:
All of my arrangements were the brainchildren of Chase's very two talented aunts and three of his cousins. They were all arranged on site the day of the wedding and came from their own personal gardens, my grandfather's garden and a cotton field a of a good friend. The bouquets were done by Ron & Mark of InBloom in Huntsville, Alabama.

The Food:
I won't mention the horrible woman who catered my event, but she could cook. To be quite frank about it, she didn't like any of my arranging, the recipe on my favor bags or my daddy. Hadn't she ever heard the saying, "Don't bite the hand that feeds you!" (Needless to say, my mom dealt with her and sent Dad and I to complain to each other. Otherwise she would have had to bail out the bride and the Father of the Bride from the Limestone County Jail.) I never ate a bite of the food, but Chase claims it was awesome!
Cheese Grits
Broccoli Salad
Vegetable Pizza
Grits Casserole
Artichoke/Spinach Dips with Bagel Chips

The Band:
Gino of Nashville, Tennessee.

The Photographer:
The talented
Clinton Lewis.

This would be mommy dearest getting down with my best friend's dad!

6 comments:

-Sally said...

Now we have to do this for me

Melissa @ Southern Mommas said...

Oh I just love it! What a great idea on the guys black suits - I am sure they were lovin' that. beautiful pictures - I absolutly adore the one in the porch swing. I am sure reading my blog you know my affection for porch swings. Super sweet. Hope you two have a wonderful loving valentines day and thanks so much for joining the sips of the south series. Hope you will join my other site " southern mommas" - It is for all southern ladies. Some of the girls are mommas to their pups just like I was for 7 years before I had little ladybug. We would love for you to join us . The site is http://southernmommas.ning.com
Tootles !

Melissa @ Southern Mommas said...

P.S. I just realized we are both Allen's -small world -haha

Anonymous said...

how pretty!!! Your pictures are beautiful girl! Hope your having a great weekend! XOXO

Carey said...

Found your link on swttnb!
What a beautiful wedding. I absolutely LOVE old historic houses and that pic on the front porch is precious!

Rachel said...

What gorgeous pictures! I love the more casual wedding. You have such great taste! And your dress - stunning!